Friday, September 19, 2014

A few recent sightings from the Flagstaff area

Birding lately up north has gotten quite interesting, with migrants starting to pull in and awesome "Booya Birds" waiting for me to find them here are a few recent trips I have taken. A short trip to Knoll Lake produced an FOY Nashville Warbler and a bunch of Townsend's Warblers.
                                                                 Nashville Warbler

                                                            Townsend's Warbler
The following day my family and I went to Ashurst Lake where they could fish and I could bird. For some reason most of the shorebirds and waterfowl prefer the south side of the lake, so that is where I started hiking to. I found a Red-necked Phalarope in the mists of the Wilson's.

Here is a photo of one of the many Wilson's Phalaropes I encountered.
There was also a couple of Lesser Yellowlegs. Note that the bill is straight.


Ashurst Lake held a few other birds like, a Solitary Sandpiper, Baird's Sandpiper, a few American Avocets, and a flock of Black-necked Stilt. Back at the Happy Lodge I was hoping to find some stray eastern warbler or a rare heron at the sewage pond, but my many tries left me with no rarities, I did however, find some nice birds while searching like my second ever Willow Flycatcher, a Green-tailed Towhee, and a Sharp-shinned Hawk.
                                                                   Willow Flycatcher


                                                               Green-tailed Towhee

                                                                Sharp-shinned Hawk
Watch for my next post on "Birthday Birding at Ashurst Lake"

2 comments:

  1. Phalaropes of any stripe are good birds, but those Red-necked are especially nice. I really liked the Townsend's Warbler and Green-tailed Towhee shots as I haven't seen those yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mr. Josh!!!

    I do agree, I love those phalaropes they are just so strange! I can't wait until I see my first REPH!!!

    ReplyDelete